With the short, medium and long-term implications for the office sector still largely unknown, the industry has rarely faced so daunting and significant a challenge to state and prove its value.
Be a part of the discussion at WorkSpace on 21 Nov 2022 as we assess how to reset, rethink, redesign and embrace the opportunity.
Be inspired by views on how we design and build office spaces with business identity, culture and wellness in mind during a collaborative day of networking, ideas, use cases and actionable insight to support you through your workspace investment, planning, design and development journey.
Hear the latest insights into the economic dialogue around workspace demand and investment now versus pre-pandemic, and how the UK compares against the wider market.
- What are the business challenges across Europe and the market impact?
- What impact is this having on the demand for office space, occupancy levels and the purpose of the office - now versus pre-pandemic, and what the forward trend will be?
- How does the workplace evolution compare across Europe and what new real estate and workplace models are we seeing?
- How can the investor and occupier work together to meet these challenges and enhance value from offices for all stakeholders?
This conversation explores one occupier’s re-examination of their workspace requirements, how their business is adapting to changes created by hybrid working, and how they unite their workforce with a destination workspace.
- Understanding the occupier’s challenges in today’s market - from determining office space requirements, new ways of working policies, moving premises, and renegotiating terms of lease
- Making real estate a destination and part of the employee value proposition – the journey and the non-negotiables
- What questions are the board asking around office requirements and re-thinking the business model?
- Paris’s ‘Criteo Building’ - what does a good collaborative partnership look like?
- More attractive lease terms - why this matters, and how London compares to other world cities
- Predicting the changing needs of Landsec’s workspace customers in coming years
- What is the greatest potential for shaking up the office space concept?
- What customer pools are still out there?
- Landsec is self-delivering – insights into this strategy rather than accessing the benefits of flex through an operator? Should everyone be doing it themselves?
We are seeing more influences from talent, employees, and occupiers defining the landscape of work. Who is enthusiastically detaching from old norms and seizing the current opportunity? Who is resisting and likely to be left behind? And what players are doing something unique to meet the evolving human need?
- A snapshot of the complicated picture - office development, the human factor, and the forward trends
- Building a path of adaptability and resilience into 2023 - who will be the workspace winners, losers, and the ones to watch?
- With the evolving needs of talent defining the market, are we truly considering human capital enough?
- Where are partnerships in our ecosystem working, where do the challenges lie, and are owner-customer relationships improving?
- The great ‘hotelification’ - from landlord concierge, a menu of services, and investing in soft features. Debate the priorities and establish what’s affordable and viable for a developer
- The changes in demand of lease commitments and lengths – understand how the conversation is evolving
The global shift to hybrid working offers a once-in-a-generation opportunity for property owners and investors. Hear from IWG Chief Investment Officer on the latest trends, opportunities, and roadmap ahead.
- Is rising levels of vacant real estate space a global trend or unique to certain regions, cities or localities?
- Turning empty spaces into profitable places - can it truly be done in today’s market and what are the opportunities and risks to players like IWG?
- Discover the socio-economic trends seen of people commuting into city centres and thoughts on the long-term impact to our cities.
- Insights into IWG’s expansion plans - how quickly are locations being added and are specific types of locations favourable?
- Franchise partners and their role in IWG’s expansion
The pandemic sowed the seeds of a workplace revolution. With a renewed focus on connection, what considerations took centre stage, unlocking and enabling office environments to meet the diverse needs of users?
- A look into the guiding principles that enabling work environments to meet the diverse needs of users
- How workspace operators can support businesses with both the positives and negatives of hybrid working
- Encouraging a human-centric approach - explore what makes a space inclusive and collaborative
- Designing truly gender-neutral places of work for all budgets
- Establish how you define, measure, and test in this context of connection.
The future of work is here, and we all need to keep up. Although technologies like the cloud, collaboration, and connectivity space have undoubtedly contributed to this transformation, physical spaces and culture change have struggled to keep up. With an invaluable opportunity to reset, rethink, and redesign our workplace strategies, this keynote looks at some of the challenges and opportunities to reinvent work, ensuring it works for people, productivity, and the planet.
- What is an office for in today’s world?
- How is the global workspace strategy evolving globally and are there regional variations?
- How do we avoid horrible hybrids?
- Is there a case for a digital first strategy and mindset?
With agile environments soon to be overtaking rows of desks, consider how the general working layout of offices are shifting and what the investment, development, design, and operational consequences would be.
- Identify the top 5 workspace design trends you should be considering for the next wave of how we work and use spaces
- Take note as we explore whether the demand for lounge-collaboration, multi-use spaces is just a high-risk fad or here to stay.
- Understanding the sustainability and performance component - outlining ways to be smart with space at minimal cost and establishing whether design feeds into ESG.
- The value of smart tech and big data in better understanding how sites are used to improve performance and spend
- Build it and they will come - should your office space reflect your brand in this new era?
Moderator: Mark Easton, Home Editor, BBC
Explore considerations around design, collaborative multi-use spaces, ESG, and creating workspaces where people thrive, and meets the needs of the people and the planet.
- The build journey - incorporating new and future workspace trends into the design and build
- How is the notion of teamwork and collaboration built into the workspaces?
- Advice and lessons learned for agents, developers, and operators
- Integrating tech, health and wellbeing, inclusivity, and ESG – all key considerations
- Roadmap ahead for futureproofing workspaces and maintaining the ‘destination office
Interviewer: Mark Ferguson, Director of Transformation, Aura Futures
With continued growth in the demand for flexible office space and the need for shorter leases as occupiers decided on their long-term office real estate strategies; this session explores the allure and unique appeal of flex space in today’s market conditions and the nuances in maintaining resilience in this competitive market.
- Understanding the allure - what is driving the unique appeal and growth in flex space and what are the big trends shaping the sector?
- Appetite for choice - what are the present-day risks of investment in co-working spaces, where is the money coming from, and will soliciting investment from buy-to-let landlords fuel a bubble?
- Global competition - can traditional landlords and smaller players compete with the power of scale and agility in moving to new spaces, locations, or territories almost overnight?
- How do we support customers in determining the extent of office space requirements in this new age and do they prioritise sustainability, technology, and design, or is affordability the only factor?
- Benchmarking sustainability - how do we incorporate low-energy and zero-carbon design across small assets and flexible spaces?
- Can we operate serviced offices at a smaller scale?